Les citoyens de l’UE peuvent voter aux élections locales

Any European Union citizen living in the UK can vote in the local council elections and mayoral election in Tower Hamlets on Thursday 3 May this year.

The flags of the EU member states

As we all know the European Union is an amazing idea which, amongst other benefits, has kept Europeans nations from going to war with each other, made it easy for European companies to trade with each other and allowed EU citizens to just pop over to another EU state and live there.

Friends and neighbours

That means that we are lucky enough to call people from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden as our friends and neighbours in Wapping and across Tower Hamlets.

Another democratic right is that any European Union citizen living in the UK can vote in the local government elections in May this year.

EU citizens living in Tower Hamlets can vote in May

Unfortunately it seems that this simple fact is not as widely known as it should be so here is a gentle reminder:

Los ciudadanos de la UE pueden votar en las elecciones locales.

Obywatele UE mog? g?osowa? w wyborach lokalnych.

I cittadini dell’UE possono votare alle elezioni locali.

Les citoyens de l’UE peuvent voter aux élections locales.

EBko herritarrek hauteskunde tokiko hauteskundeetan bozkatu dezakete.

EU-Bürger können an Kommunalwahlen teilnehmen.

EU-medborgare kan rösta i lokala val.

EU-burgers kunnen stemmen bij lokale verkiezingen.

OK? Glad we cleared that up.

Who is eligible to vote at a local government election?

To vote in a local government election a person must be:

  • Registered to vote
  • Be 18 or over in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, or 16 or over in Scotlandand also be one of the following:
  • A British citizen living in the UK
  • A qualifying Commonwealth citizen living in the UK
  • A citizen of the Republic of Ireland living in the UK
  • A European Union citizen living in the UK (that’s you!)
  • Someone registered to vote as a Crown Servant
  • Someone registered to vote as a service voter
  • A British citizen living abroad who is registered as an overseas elector cannot vote in local government elections.

Not sure if you are registered to vote?

If you are not sure if you are already registered, contact the Tower Hamlets Council electoral registration office as soon as you can.

Those with no access to the internet can ring the electoral registration office on 020 7364 0872 and they will send you a form.

So get registered and vote.

(Oh and the headline to this story is in Basque – obviously!)

Related Internet Links

Please help fund Love Wapping

If you found this story useful please consider helping Love Wapping continue to cover issues like this by clicking the PayPal donate button below.(You can also pay by debit cards using this link).
Love Wapping does not carry advertising and receives no financial support apart from people like you.
%d bloggers like this: