Normal life in Wapping and the surrounding area (pretty much everywhere) will grind to a halt this weekend by the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 & 46 cycling events.
Apart from anything else the D3 bus route will be thrown into chaos. You can see details of the disruption below or check out the Transport for London site. We have lifted some of the content from there and pasted it below.
While everyone (well, some people) loves a massive charity event a lot of people (well, a lot of people) in Wapping and Tower Hamlets are getting more than a little hacked off (we are being polite) with the regular disruption to the East End by these events.
“Ugh – I love that London is an interesting place to live because we support these events, but it’s such a hassle! Marathon weekend, Triathlon weekend, Ride London weekend, Sky Ride weekend. It’s like 10% of weekends every year we become a little island,” said Wapping resident Corie Hawkins on the Love Wapping Facebook page.
“If we were a green leafy village, people would be up in arms about it…but because we’re an urban area, somehow it’s okay to block tens of thousands off from the outside world.”
Good luck cyclists!
If you are taking part raising funds for charity then good luck!
Road closures in east London
Amateur cyclists in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 and 46 will leave Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park between 06:00-09:30.
- The A12, A102 Blackwall Tunnel and A13 will re-open following the last cyclist exiting, at around 10:45
- Roads by the event routes will have local access only for residents and businesses, with usual Sunday parking restrictions unless otherwise stated
- For a detailed map of the closures, please download the local resident’s flyer for east London (PDF 6MB), produced by London and Surrey Cycle Partnership
- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park – Waterden Road
- A12 between Redbridge and Blackwall Lane including A102 Blackwall Tunnel and Northern Approach
- A12 from the A102 Blackwall Tunnel to Redbridge
- Aspen Way
- East India Dock Road, A13
- East Smithfield
- Limehouse Link
- The Highway
- Tower Hill