Candidates for the 2015 Mayoral election on 11th June (a re-run of the one rigged by Tower Hamlets First in May 2014 and subsequently voided in the High Court) have been announced. They are:
- BAGSHAW, Elaine – Liberal Democrats
- BIGGS, John – Labour Party
- ERLAM, Andy – Red Flag Anti-Corruption
- FOSTER, John – Green Party
- GOLDS, Peter – Conservative Party
- HUDSON, Vanessa Helen – Animal Welfare Party
- KADIR, Hafiz Abdul – Independent
- KHAN, Rabina – Independent
- MCQUEEN, Nicholas UK Independence Party (UKIP)
- RAHMAN NANU, Md. Motiur – Independent
Eagle eyed readers will note that ‘KHAN, Rabina – Independent’ sounds a bit like KHAN, Rabina – Tower Hamlets First.
This is for the very good reason that they are one and the same person.
Vote Rabina, Get Lutfur
The same Rabina Khan who, according to the judgement of the Electoral Commissioner Justice Mawrey was elected in May 2014 with the benefit of ‘corrupt and illegal practices’.
Along with 16 of her Tower Hamlets First colleagues. Extract from judgement below:
635 From those decisions, particularly the decisions above on the issue of general corruption under s 164, it follows that the court will have to report that ‘corrupt practices have extensively prevailed at the election in the area of the authority for which the election was held.’ Given the nature of THF as a ‘party’ and the reality of its control by Mr Rahman, this means that the election of all THF Councillors must be taken to have been achieved with the benefit of the corrupt and illegal practices found by this judgment to have been committed.
636 This court has not been charged with deciding the validity of the election of any of those Councillors. It is far too late for anyone to petition to avoid their individual elections. So far as electoral law is concerned, therefore, each of those Councillors is fully entitled to retain his or her seat until the next election in 2018.
637 This is obviously unsatisfactory but the solution to the problem lies well outside the remit of this Election Court.
Despite the finding of the Electoral Commissioner Rabina Khan is allowed to stand as an ‘Independent’ in a Mayoral election which is a re-run of the previous Mayoral election which she and her Tower Hamlets First colleagues rigged.
LW has already raised this issue with the DCLG, you can read the letter here.
I don’t know who Rabina Khan thinks she is kidding but it ain’t us.
On the plus side at least those who vote for Ms. Khan will know what they are getting – see below.
For more information
- St. George’s Day was Armageddon day for Tower Hamlets First
- Time to rid our borough of the Tower Hamlets First virus
- Tower Hamlets First ceases to exist
- Electoral Commission statement on outcome of the Tower Hamlets election petition