WOW! This year Wapping is getting it’s very own Christmas Tree! [squeals with excitement].
The Christmas Tree will be on Wapping Green for everyone to see and enjoy and there will be a switching on of the tree lights ceremony between 6.30 and 7.30 pm on the 8th of December! [gasps of amazement].
And it gets better! Not only is Wapping having its very own Christmas tree, not only will it have lights, not only will the lights be switched on but they will be switched on by – dunno.
‘A very special guest’ is all our crack team of Investigative Journalists have been able to discover.
Our money is on it being Kevin the Kingfisher. Only way to find out is to come along and see.
And bring some fish.
As with all events in Wapping there is no budget for the event <sigh>. So we need the community to pitch in and lend a hand.
First thing you can do – yeah, you! – is download the flyer below and put it up everywhere you can find.
These are the sorts of things that haven’t yet been organised and or that we could do with more of:
- Spread the word on your twitter, website, word of mouth
- Candles with drip protectors
- Refreshments – festive cakes/mince pies, savouries, drinks
- Printing and distribution of flyers
- Tables for refreshments
Residents and local businesses have already confirmed the contributions below:
- Marquee – offered by Hilary and Stuart Williams
- Decorations – Yuval and Dom of Studio Spaces
- Mulled wine – Peter of the Town of Ramsgate
- Music – song sheets and direction provided by Catherine and Jo of St Patrick’s
- Guest to turn on lights – Surprise [but probably Kevin the Kingfisher]
- Photography – Vickie Flores
- Organisational assistance – Sam Barrett
- Help on the Night – Matt Twohig and Terry Pulham
Yo ho ho to all these generous merry people!
Who? How? What?
Hang on a minute! How has this Christmas miracle of the tree happened? Trees don’t grow on village greens you know.
Or on trees.
Wait! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s – Cllr. Julia Dockerill! The Pavement Queen of Wapping! [swoons with surprise]
Julia is the person to get in touch with if you want to help out via email@example.com.
Nice work Cllr. Now about the rest of the pavement in Wapping Lane…