Wop wop wop wop…. we are all familiar with the sight and sound of the red London Air Ambulance flying over Wapping.
Unfortunately sometimes it lands in Wapping and helps residents in dire need of urgent medical treatment.
One such occasion was when one of our neighbours was attacked in Wapping Woods and seriously injured. Thanks to the Air Ambulance’s swift response she survived.
Now London’s Air Ambulance need another helicopter – so here is some information about what they do and how they do it and links to donate too!
And if you should happen to work for a global mega international corporation in the City of Canary Wharf you can make it your personal mission to get them to make a seriously large corporate donation. Let’s face it, a lot of the company’s people in Wapping work for could afford to just buy one outright (hint).
About London’s Air Ambulance
London’s Air Ambulance is the charity that delivers an advanced trauma team to critically injured people in London.
Using a helicopter by day and rapid response cars by night, a doctor and paramedic team can be at a patient’s side within minutes, providing life-saving medical interventions, such as open chest surgery, blood transfusion, and anaesthesia, at the roadside.
London’s Air Ambulance has an international reputation for clinical excellence and delivers pioneering procedures which have been adopted across the world.
In 2013, London’s Air Ambulance attended 1818 Patient Missions (84 of these were in Tower Hamlets)
Mechanism of Injury in 2013:
- 34% Road Traffic Collisions
- 27% Falls from Height
- 23% Stabbings and Shootings
- 16% Other (Incidents on the Rail Network, Industrial Accidents, Drownings etc.)
London’s Air Ambulance At A Glance
- Currently fundraising for a second helicopter and extended daylight flying hours (more detail below).
- Has treated over 30,000 critically injured people and attended most major incidents since inception.
- Serves the 10 million people who live, work and holiday within the M25
- Founded in 1989
- London’s Air Ambulance is a charity that operates in partnership with both Barts Health NHS Trust and London Ambulance Service
- Barts Health employs and remunerates the doctors who are seconded to the service, as well as providing some direct financial support and the helipad facility for the charity’s operations.
- London Ambulance Service (LAS) similarly provide paid paramedics who are seconded to the service. An advanced trauma paramedic operates from the LAS control room and is responsible for dispatching London’s Air Ambulance to the most critically injured people in London, 24 hours a day
A second helicopter for London
London’s Air Ambulance is working to acquire a relief helicopter. Combined with longer flying hours in the summer months and the recruitment of additional pilots and fire crew, the charity estimates a second helicopter would help us reach a further 400 patients per year by air.
They serve a population of more than 10 million people (including Wapping). Elsewhere in England and Wales there are approximately 30 emergency medical aircraft covering a population of about 44 million people; a ratio of 1 helicopter per 1.5 million people. London is one of the few major cities in the world with only one air ambulance.
Which is pretty daft.
While the Air Ambulance have been awarded £1 million from the LIBOR fund, this only covers the cost of running the additional aircraft and extended flying hours for one year.
With the addition a second a helicopter the cost of the service will increase to £6 million per year so they need your dosh Wapping.
A second helicopter will:
- Increase the scale, impact and resilience of the service by achieving 100% air coverage in daylight hours
- Deliver our advanced trauma team to the patient via aircraft – the most effective way
- Provide immediate cover when the aircraft is offline for servicing or maintenance
- In the event of a major incident mobilise two aircraft to transport advanced trauma teams to the scene
- Allow more flexibility for training of aviation and medical crews
How Wapping can help the Air Ambulance
There are plenty of opportunities for the people of Wapping to get behind London’s Air Ambulance’s quest to secure a second helicopter for the Capital. These include challenge events, golf days, our weekly lottery and of course, direct giving. Links below:
Hopefully the Air Ambulance will never come to help you – but why take the chance? Apparently you can donate even if you don’t live in Wapping!