Tower Hamlets election confusion over results for non-existent party

Official elections results published by Tower Hamlets council have been amended this morning after they were first published with some results for candidates standing for Rabina Khan’s People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets (PATH) party published under the name ‘Tower Hamlets People’s Alliance’.

Screen grab of council election results page before being amended. Highlighting in yellow shows People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets (PATH) and ‘Tower Hamlets People’s Alliance’’ names.

Today’s amendments have changed all previous results for the non-existent ‘Tower Hamlets People’s Alliance’ to the more widely known People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets (PATH).

The amendments to the naming errors do not seem to change the overall results or individual ward results. The mayoral election won by Labour’s John Biggs was not affected.

In any other borough this could be dismissed as an IT glitch but with the unprecedented pressure on Tower Hamlets to ensure the 2018 elections went off without a hitch some are questioning the integrity of the polling process.

LW became aware of this issue over the weekend and has approached Tower Hamlets council for comment.

Graphic of Election results for St Katharine's & Wapping ward before and after amendments. (Click image for larger version).
Election results for St Katharine’s & Wapping ward before and after amendments. (Click image for larger version).

Initial analysis by the People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets (PATH) party of the results published after the ward declarations indicated that those PATH candidates who were correctly identified amounted to 6.14% of the total votes cast and 5.20% of the votes shown as being cast for the Tower Hamlets People’s Alliance, together giving a total of 11.34% (approximately 8,975 votes of the 79,141 cast).

Note: Without the originally published data LW cannot verify these figures but we believe them to be accurate. 

It is not believed that the Tower Hamlets People’s Alliance wording appeared on any ballot papers but this is not confirmed.

If this was proved to be the case it would almost certainly trigger a rerun of the election.

Statement by Cllr. Rabina Khan

Cllr. Rabina Khan, PATH party leader.

In a statement to LW, PATH leader Cllr. Rabina Khan said that while there are questions related to specific wards, technical errors and other areas such as allegations of EU nationals having the right to vote being turned away that need to be addressed, the election was far better at the polling stations and fewer reports of intimidation on Election Day.

“I am proud and privileged to be re-elected in Shadwell and deeply touched by my constituents trust in me.”

LW Comment

For Tower Hamlets council to be the last London local authority to declare its results is understandable.

For the council to publish inaccurate data is not.

It would be dangerous to dismiss the presumed transposition of ‘People’s Alliance of Tower Hamlets’ to ‘Tower Hamlets People’s Alliance’ as a simple mistake.

Any IT system fit for purpose should not be capable of creating such an error.

Related Internet Links


Please help fund Love Wapping

The Wapping MoleIf you found this story useful please consider helping Love Wapping continue to cover issues like this by making a donation to Love Wapping.

No other publications in east London or Tower Hamlets cover the types of stories that we do – but these stories need to be told.

Love Wapping does not carry advertising and receives no financial support apart from people like you.


2 Comments

    1. You, KTC, are a data hero! This is incredibly valuable, thank you very much indeed!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: