Election petitioner Azmal Hussein has submitted a Letter of Protocol to the Electoral Commission to have the 17 members of ‘Tower Hamlets First’ who were elected with the benefit of corrupt and illegal practices suspended and so force by-elections in their wards.
‘Independent’ candidate Rabina Khan is one of these 17 councillors. Her status if this legal move succeeds is currently unclear.
If the ex-Mayor’s preferred candidate and her 16 Tower Hamlets First colleagues were banned from standing for electoral office – as was the case with Lutfur Rahman and Alibor Choudhury – then her status would be very clear.
She could not stand for Mayor.
Many Tower Hamlets residents are baffled as to how Ms. Khan can simply switch from being a Tower Hamlets First politician one day to being an Independent candidate the next without pausing for breath after the Electoral Commission removed Tower Hamlets First from the register of political parties.
LW has previously highlighted the issue of the ridiculous situation whereby 17 Tower Hamlets councillors have been found to have been elected with the benefit of corrupt and illegal practices can remain in post, simply because they were not named in the original electoral petition.
The councillors in question are:
- Councillor Ohid Ahmed (Lansbury)
- Councillor Suluk Ahmed (Spitalfields & Banglatown)
- Councillor Mahbub Alam (St Dunstan’s)
- Councillor Shah Alam (Mile End)
- Councillor Shahed Ali (Whitechapel)
- Councillor Abdul Asad (Whitechapel)
- Councillor Gulam Kibria Choudhury (Poplar)
- Councillor Shafiqul Haque (Bethnal Green)
- Councillor Aminur Khan (Whitechapel)
- Councillor Rabina Khan (Shadwell)
- Councillor Abjol Miah (St Peter’s)
- Councillor Harun Miah (Shadwell)
- Councillor Md. Maium Miah (Canary Wharf)
- Councillor Mohammed Mufti Miah (Bromley North)
- Councillor Muhammad Ansar Mustaquim (St Peter’s)
- Councillor Oliur Rahman (Stepney Green)
- Councillor Gulam Robbani (Spitalfields & Banglatown)
Mr Hussein has stated that if the Electoral Commission reject his Letter of Protocol he will then take another election petition to court.
Updates as and when we get them.