Some things in life are worth waiting for. This morning’s publication of the PwC report into Tower Hamlets Council was followed three hours later by a statement to the House of Commons by Eric Pickles MP, the Communities Secretary.
While still in office it seems that Mayor Lutfur and his Tower Hamlets First administration are no longer in power.
The Rotten Borough of Tower Hamlets
You may have heard the term ‘rotten borough’ used today to describe Tower Hamlets. Here is the Wikipedia definition of the term.
There has been extensive coverage of the release of the PwC report, Best Value Inspection of London Borough of Tower Hamlets, and the statement by Mr Pickles. Here are some links.
- PwC report: Eric likely to install new CEO and take over control of grants and sales of properties (Trial by Jeory)
- Eric Pickles to send three commissioners to run Tower Hamlets over audit (East London Advertiser)
- Auditors say Tower Hamlets ‘failed to provide best value’ for residents (East London Advertiser)
- The ugly politics of Tower Hamlets (Evening Standard Comment)
- Tower Hamlets council guilty of systematic failings, report reveals (Guardian)
- Tower Hamlets: damning report lays bare cronyism and misuse of public money (Telegraph)
- Tower Hamlets Council ‘culture of cronyism’ criticised (BBC News)
- Tower Hamlets council: Hit squad sent in to take over ‘rotten borough’ (Evening Standard)
- East London’s Tower Hamlets Council Criticised After ‘Bangledeshi Favouritism’ Claims (International Business Times)
- Pickles announces Tower Hamlets commissioners (Local Government Chronicle)
- Pickles tackles corruption in Tower Hamlets (Conservative Home)
- Team Sent In to Oversee London Borough Over Governance (Bloomberg Businessweek)
- Tower Hamlets grants-for-votes inquiry finds grant guidelines were flouted (Civil Society)
- PwC review criticises Tower Hamlets allocation of voluntary sector grants (Third Sector)
- Pickles proposes Tower Hamlets intervention over governance failures (LocalGov)
- Report Criticises Tower Hamlets’ Lack Of Transparency (LBC)
On reading the report the entire Love Wapping Cartography Department was delighted to see more than a little similarity between the illustrative maps by PwC of how grant allocations seemed to be biased towards the west of the Borough and their own recent work here and here. Oh and here.
Another media conspiracy
Mr Pickles has given Tower Hamlets Council 14 days to propose how they will put the Town Hall in order but no one in their right mind thinks that this is going to happen. First will be anguished cries from Rahman and crew of a media conspiracy and then the usual blatant propaganda which residents are supposed to believe.
So it is simply a matter of time before Mr Pickles sends in his team to take direct control of our great borough which has been dragged into the gutter by blatant cronyism.
This will be only the first of many steps towards restoring democracy in Tower Hamlets.
This saga is not over yet.