Hollywood comes to Wapping! Well, almost. Residents of the Green Bank will know that filming is going on at our very own Turner’s Old Star. For those of us who cannot sneak a peak at the activity of the filming from their kitchen window here are some basic details.
The film is called ‘Legend’ and it is about – well it’s a secret. Although I think you might be able to work it out just from this post <giggle>.
But it is being shot by Working Title Films who are the real deal when it comes to film making, winning four Academy Awards for their production of Les Misérables apart from anything else. Impressive huh?
This is the filming schedule.
- Monday 9th June – Prep of location (08:00 to 18:00)
- Tuesday 10th June – Prep of Location (08:00 to 18:00)
- Wednesday 11th June – Filming (08:00 to 20:00)
- Thursday 12th June – Filming (08:00 to 20:00)
- Friday 13th June – Clear up post Filming (08:00 to 18:00)
Anyone for a bar brawl?
And this is an extract from the letter drop with some information from Chris Johnston the Location Manager.
“All the filming will take place inside the pub, but please be aware that the scenes we are filming within the pub are scenes of a violent nature and will include a bar brawl. To facilitate us, we will be suspending bays on Watts Street, Reardon Path and Reardon Street during our prep/shoot/strike days for our essential technical vehicles and also clear for shot. Please look out for the yellow suspension signs. There are usually free bays on Tench Street for parking but on the 11th & 12th June we will be using the John Orwell Sports centre and will be able to offer some alternative parking here on a first come first serve basis.
You will also notice two camera cranes positioned in suspended bays outside Frobisher house. We will not block the road, pavement or any of the entrances and we will make every effort to cause the minimum of disturbance. We thank you in advance for you co-operation during the shoot.”
A lot of work
Early this morning the Love Wapping Film Unit Liaison Team Unit Manager (Central Wapping Branch) went out to have a nose around and had a chat with Chris Johnson who seems a very nice guy.
Chris told me that after four days filming and the work of a lot of professionals guess how much completed film Working Title will get? Ten minutes.
The scenes are very important apparently and it’s good to know that Working Title chose the Old Star as their location. It’s good for the pub, good for local businesses in Wapping Lane and good for Wapping as a whole.
Here is the Love Wapping suggestion list for some other films that could be shot in Wapping.
- “How long does it take to count some bits of paper?” (The Tower Hamlets Election saga)
- “Wapping Squirrel – who ate all the nuts?” (An adventure story spanning several generations of squirrels)
- “The Great Wapping Rubbish Bin Mystery” (Documentary)
- “That will be £2.58 please” (An everyday story of working life in Best One Wapping Lane)
- “One good tern deserves another” (Why birds are nice to each other)
- “Biscuit – a life sleeping” (A tribute to a Wapping legend)
As soon as we know when these films will start production we will be first with the news. Or last if nobody tells us.
More pics if i have the time to be nosy.